It’s my birthday! In celebration, here are 40 things I know to be true. And because it’s just boring without pictures, a few of my happy places. If you make it all the way to the end, I have a little gift for you. Because what is a birthday without presents?
- Don’t leave sharpie markers on the counter with toddlers in the house.
- Family is everything.
- You cannot have it all. Which part of “all” matters?
- Sleep! 7 hours is my absolute minimum do, 8 is better.
- Never do complicated when simple will work.
- Less is more.
- No is a complete sentence.
- Risk management is not just for bankers (and that’s probably the most important thing I learned in banking.)
- Other banking lessons? Character trumps all – it is more important than a financial position, history, future plans.
Gratitude is the antidote for the blues, materialism, entitlement, all that ails you.
- If you don’t know where you are going, you will not know that you’ve arrived.
- There is beauty and worth in every single person, no matter how annoying. My job is to find it.
- Read. Read. Read.
- Sometimes we don’t deserve the good things we get. Sometimes we don’t deserve the bad things we get.
- Grace is enough
- Tomorrow I’ll wish I started today.
- One mess-up does not ruin the rest of the day/week/month/project.
- Done is better than perfect.
- Make your bed every day. (Thanks Mom.)
- You always have a choice.
- Travel is mind-expanding. What people everywhere have in common is so much greater than our differences.
- You can only change yourself.
- Two ears, one mouth. To be used in that proportion.
- Garbage in, garbage out.
- Nothing lasts forever. That gets me through the tough times, and reminds me to be here now.
- Saying “yes” to one thing always means saying “no” to something else.
- What other people think is true for them. It doesn’t have to be true for me.
- Imagination is the way to solve problems.
- Create something everyday. A doodle, a dinner, a clear sentence. Anything.
- A small decision to do the next right thing can determine your whole direction.
- Being a mom is the toughest (and most important) thing I’ve ever done.
- Encourage your children.
- Optimism is indispensable.
- Your children want you. (Thanks April Perry!)
- Those long quiet nights up with a nursing baby? You’ll miss it.
- Plan for the unexpected (especially with little guys around!).
- Marriage? Forgive, forgive, forgive. And try to forget.
- A smile and a kiss go a long way, as does saying you’re sorry.
- I don’t know who said this but I believe it wholeheartedly: “you can be right or you can be happy.” Your choice.
All you need is love.
And because every birthday needs presents (who doesn’t like presents?) I want to give you one.
Are you feeling overwhelmed? Don’t know what is vital to you anymore?
Jump on the phone with me for 30 minutes and I’ll walk you through my step-by-step way to clear your head, find what’s next, and focus on making your highest contribution. I have set aside some spots on my calendar – click here to book your appointment now. (And yes, since it’s my gift to you, it’s free.)